Hit and Run Compensation Claims

Hit and Run Compensation Claims

Accidents where the driver is untraced are often referred to ‘hit and run’ accidents.

This is when the car involved in the accident fails to stop and disclose their insurance details. These cases can often be quite serious and affect a number of people including drivers, passengers, pedestrians and cyclists.

In some circumstances, CCTV can be found which gives the details of the other driver – although, this is not always the case.

If the third party driver remains untraced then you may be able to make a claim to the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB). The MIB was set up to help victims of negligent and untraceable drivers. The MIB, paid for by contributions from all the insurance companies, can pay out compensation which cannot be claimed from any other source.

We deal with hundreds of cases each year involving untraced drivers so if you would like some free impartial advice call our Specialist Advice Centre on now 0844 854 5090.

We understand that being the victim of any road traffic accident can be traumatic, and we further understand that this trauma and distress is increased in a hit and run accident, as the driver responsible for your injuries fails to stop, leaving no details.

If the police are able to trace the driver responsible for your injuries in your hit and run accident, and they have a valid insurance policy, then Claims National will be able to help you pursue a normal claim for compensation against the driver’s insurance.

Compensation guide

Up To
  • Head/Neck
    One Foot
    Both Feet

  • £42,000

The figures displayed are for guidance, for more assistance please call on: 0808 168 5385

24 hr Claims Helpline 0808 168 5385

However, if the driver responsible is traced but does not have a valid insurance policy, then you may have no choice but to approach the MIB directly, to find out if they can help you make a claim through the MIB Uninsured Driver Scheme.  The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB Scheme), is an organisation that collects money from motor insurance companies to cover the compensation of innocent victims of road traffic accidents involving uninsured or untraced drivers. It is possible to contact the MIB directly however, this process can be long and have many complications, so you may find it simpler to make your claim with the help of a solicitor. At Claims National, we can help you pursue your claim and receive the compensation you deserve.

As with all personal injury compensation claims, you will need to provide sufficient evidence that the accident was at the fault of somebody else. In order to help your case, it would be beneficial to you to take details such as names, addresses, telephone numbers of any witnesses, and take as many photographs of the accident as possible.

Children who have been the victims of a hit and run accident, due to new law, now have up until their 21st birthday to make a claim for compensation, regardless of how long before the accident took place.