If you have you been the victim of a negligent breast reduction surgery then Claims National can help you in your right to claim compensation.
An inexperienced surgeon or poor after-care can cause you many issues with your breast reduction procedure. You may find that you suffer from scarring, asymmetrical shape, positioning or slippage. There are also some serious complications which may occur such as infection or rupturing which you can also claim compensation for.
Breast reduction procedures, in similarity to breast enlargement procedures, are becoming increasingly popular. Women with particularly large breasts find that they suffer from uncomfortable implications of large breasts which can include back and neck pain, general discomfort, and a limitation in their range of movement. This can cause women to feel self conscious and they may find that they are embarrassed or have a low self esteem due to their breast size. Therefore, over 5,000 women a year choose to undergo breast reduction surgery.
As with all surgery procedures, there are risks to the patient’s health, but this and the patient’s well being should still be managed properly by medical professionals.
24 hr Claims Helpline 0808 168 5385
The breast reduction procedure occurs as follows:
- Patient is given a general anaesthetic, of which the surgery is performed under.
- An incision will be made around the perimeter of the nipple, then extended down to the crease of the breast, then across to create an anchor like shape.
- The surgeon will cut away the excess skin and fat tissue so that the overall breast size is reduced.
- The surgeon then moves the areola and nipple up to a higher part of the breast. The larger the patient’s breasts are, the further up the breast the areola and nipple are moved to.
- With the nipple in its new place, the skin is pulled around the breast and the incisions are stitched.
Although most breast reduction surgeries are successful with the desired outcomes, surgeons can sometimes perform negligently, leading to mistakes being made. These mistakes can include; women being unable to breast feed due to the nipples being separated from the milk ducts, nerve damage to the nipple which can result in a loss of sensation in the nipple, abnormal scarring, asymmetrical breasts/nipples, lumps in the breasts, pain, bleeding or haematoma, and infection.
As with all surgery, there are risks attached to undergoing a breast reduction procedure. The main risk is having a harmful reaction to the anaesthetic – called anaphylaxis.
This problem is more likely to occur if you:
- Are undergoing emergency surgery
- You have other illnesses
- You are a smoker
- You are overweight
Making a claim for compensation can bring you justice for any pain and suffering you may have been caused regarding your negligent breast reduction procedure. Also, compensation may help cover the cost of your remedial surgery, as well as any loss of income you’ve had due to your negligent breast reduction.